<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, May 30, 2004

Movies! 

Been a while since I had time to update. Just thought I'd post a few brief thoughts about movies I've seen lately.

Domestic Disturbance - Ok I guess. Could have been better. John Travolta was actually pretty decent compared to some of his other movies. *cough*Battlefield Earth*cough*

Troy - Pretty good. The script could have been better, but overall it's not bad. The action sequences are awesome. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. However, Brad Pitt was just not the right choice for Achilles. I imagine the greatest warrior ever as a more rugged kind of guy, not pretty-boy Pitt. Orlando Bloom once again acts like a girl (though I suppose this time it was part of the character). Eric Bana rules. The ending is like a soap opera. But you could do worse for $10 (or $3.50 if you live in Latin America, hehe).

The Day After Tomorrow - Basically what we've come to suspect from the director (I believe his name is Roland Emmerich off the top of my head, can't be sure though). This is the guy who did Independence Day, Godzilla, and The Patriot. And you know what? The Patriot is the only one that I would actually consider a really really good film with fully developed characters. This one is basically like all the others, though that's not a bad thing: Flat characters, weak dialogue at times, but some freakin' awesome action scenes and special effects! This movie is just fun and entertaining; it's not designed to make you care about the characters or think. Plus, it has Donnie Darko in it! You can't go wrong there! Though what I really want to know is what this guy's obsession is with destroying New York City. I mean, he blew it up in Independence Day, got a big monster to stomp on it in Godzilla, and now he's flooding it and freezing it into a giant ice cube. What's your problem with New Yorkers, man?

Dogma - The most religious movie I've seen since The Passion. This is the one by Kevin Smith (yay! I finally saw a Kevin Smith movie!) that criticizes organized religion, particularly Catholicism. Many people consider it sacreligious, but I think those are the same people that need to sit down and watch it. It's disguised as a comedy (and a hilarious one at that) but it has a lot to say about society and the treatment of religion. Basically it follows two fallen angels (Matt Damon and Ben Affleck) who have found a way to get back into heaven - the only problem is, if they do so it will prove God fallible, thereby ending existence itself. So God sends an agnostic named Bethany on a quest to stop them. Along the way she meets two prophets named Jay and Silent Bob (who are in every single Kevin Smith movie), the 13th apostle who was written out of the Bible due to racism, a Muse and God Herself (the writers of the Bible were also sexist). If I have time I might write a full review on it, since there's so much to be said about this movie. See it! But beware of extreme profanity.

That's all for now. Oh, and I've had the Kill Bill reviews written for quite some time now. I'm just trying to find a stupid picture from Volume 1 that I need in order to post it. Hopefully that will be done some time this week.

Chao.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?