<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, June 24, 2004

Machine of the Gods 

Eduardo and Daniel arrived safely from Honduras. Yay. We've been hanging out and playing video games and stuff. Last night we saw The League of Extraordinary Gentleman. It sucked.

Tonight I watched Donnie Darko with them, and was once again reminded of why it is one of my favorite movies, if not the most favorite. I've seen it tons of times, but every time I see it I notice more stuff. Every time I see it I come up with my own interpretation about what it's all about, and think I've got it figured out. Then the next time I watch it I'll notice something that proves me wrong once again or just manages to confuse me.

Tonight my main confusion was with Frank. What is his role? Who is he? At one point Donnie mentions, "Deus Ex Machina", otherwise known as "Machine of the Gods". This could be referring to the literary tecnique in which the hero of the story is always magically saved by the gods right when it appears as though he will die - and this certainly fits the context of the phrase in the film. But is it referring to Frank? Is Frank God? Is he being used by God? Why does he say that he's "going home" in the last minutes of the movie? How could he go back in time if he supposedly died? Is he a ghost? What is his motive - to guide Donnie to his final choice, or to simply torment him as revenge for killing him? How does the plane enging get into the time portal - is it completely random?

ARGH! I can't take it anymore! I'm too confused! *head explodes*

Hopefully I'll be able to see the Director's Cut in theaters this summer, and some of my questions will be answered...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?