<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, August 27, 2004

It's Da Weekend! 

It's over!
It's over!
Sing with me!
It's over!
It's over!
Shout with me!
It's over!
It's over!
Dance with me!


Woohoo! My last first full week of school is over! Finally!

It feels like it's been months since I last had a day off. Part of me wants to sleep for the next 2 days. Another part (the one I pay more attention to), just wants to get out of the house and breathe. I want to party. Or go to a movie. Or basically do anything that doesn't involve school, stress, family, or anything familiar. My brain feels squished. It needs space.

Hm. Just watched a cool Coen Brothers film...Miller's Crossing. Some have claimed it's better than The Godfather in terms of gangster movies. Is it? No. But I thought it was pretty good. Things start out kinda slow, but the Coens don't give you all the information right away...soon I was really intrigued as to how far into a mess this guy was going to get himself into, and whether or not he would be able to get himself out. Then, slowly, the pieces started to fall into place. Good stuff. If you're into lots of action, though, this isn't for you. Perhaps the best thing about this film is the photography. Barry Sonnenfeld = brilliant. I felt like I had gone back in time. Everything's present, from the war between gangs to the corrupt cops to the rigged gambling...the filmmakers did their research. The entire style feels like an old-fashioned 50s or 60s mystery film (some shots reminded me of Hitchcock). Even the colors feel perfect. Did this really come out in the 80s? Overall, a good movie and on par with their others - though it's not nearly as good as Raising Arizona, which is probably my favorite of their films that I've seen. Then again, it's the Coen Brother, so what would you expect? After all, this was made during their pre-Intolerable Cruelty days. *shudders at the memory*

Hm. Started reading another story in Dubliners. I'm starting to understand what James Joyce's wife said to him: "Why don’t you write books people can read?"

It's political rant time! I can't remember blogging about politics before and I don't intend to make it a habit, but I saw something on the news that ticked me off. It had to do with terrorism, and September 11, and how they're cracking down on it so there aren't any more attacks, and how if we're not careful the "terror level" or whatever it's called might be raised.

I couldn't help but think: "Oh noooooo! Not the terrorists!" And mentally rolling my eyes.

Michael Moore's an interesting guy, and most of the time I probably wouldn't agree with him, but on this point I do. The government needs to stop terrorizing the population with statements like, "Oh there's a high possibility of an attack, but don't worry we can handle it." And the population needs to stop paying attention. In my opinion, it's all a bunch of crap. They're just doing this so we think, "Oh, thank God, President Bush is keeping us safe from evil terrorists! Let's vote for him!" Never mind the fact that we're at war.

Side note: I'm not a Democrat. I'm not anti-Bush. I'm not sure what I think about the war in Iraq (I used to think it was called for, but now I'm not so sure). I just think the government needs to stop brainwashing the public. That's all.

There are a couple of things people need to realize:

1. September 11 is over. Now, I don't mean any disrespect to the people affected by the tragedy, since it was horrible, but...it's been three years. Get over it and move on. Why is it still mentioned in the news practically every day?

2. Terrorists attacks happen. They happened before September 11, and they'll happen after September 11. Why is it now such a big deal? Because they chose to pick on the USA? How come the "war on terror" didn't start until after it directly affected us?

3. You're not going to be killed by a suicidal Muslim. Or any other terrorist, for that matter. The odds of that happening are astronomical. It's really quite simple. If somebody really wants to attack us, and they've got the means, then they most likely will, no matter how high the security level is. We didn't stop 9/11 and we're probably not going to be able to stop every future atttempt. And newsflash: worrying about it isn't going to stop it. The chances of you being a victim though, are slim.

People need to move on. Live their lives. Stop looking over their shoulder because they're afraid some wacko is going to fly a plane into the building next to them. I honestly think there is no reason to keep publicizing it other than to keep the population under control. A scared population is one that will support its leader, no matter who it is.

Okay fine. So maybe I am feeling Democratic today. Though I honestly don't think I would vote for Kerry. That is, if I could vote.

End of rant.

Quote of Da Moment:
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move."
--Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?