<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, September 26, 2004

Even More Sunshine! 

Anyway, things really started lookin' up for me
Because about a week later, I finally achieved my lifelong dream
That's right, I got me a part-time job at The Sizzler
I even made employee of the month after I put that grease fire out with my face
Aw yeah, everybody was pretty jealous of me after that
I was gettin' a lot of attitude

OK, like one time, I was out in the parking lot
Tryin' to remove my excess earwax with a golf pencil
When I see this guy Marty tryin' to carry a big ol' sofa up the stairs all by himself
So I, I say to him, I say "Hey, you want me to help you with that?"
And Marty, he just rolls his eyes and goes
"No, I want you to cut off my arms and legs with a chainsaw"

So I did

--Albuquerque, "Weird Al" Yankovic

This morning I finished The Butterfly Effect. Good movie, but not as complex or complicated as it could have been...in other words, it didn't make my head hurt enough. Hehe.

Tonight I went to see Eternal Sunshine with friends. I got there at 6:15...the movie was at 6:55. So I wandered around, got some coffee, chilled out. My friends got there at 6:53. Typical Salvadorean time-keeping. So we bought our tickets, and went inside...and I started to get really annoyed.

Before I continue, it's important one thing is clearly understood about me: I have a pet peeve involving movies. It's just something small, but it really really really really annoys me. It's going to the movie late and missing part of the movie. That really gets on my nerves. I feel like, "Why should I pay to see only part of a movie? And miss the previews, which is one of the best parts about going to the cinema?!"

Now that that is understood, let's compare gringo and Latin American movie-going styles, shall we:

Gringos: Gringos (at least the ones I know), like to arrive at the movies early. We get our tickets, go inside the theater as soon as possible, and sit and talk while waiting for the movie to begin. That way we get to socialize without missing the movie.

Latin Americans: Salvadoreans arrive at the movies right at the scheduled time it's supposed to start. They buy their tickets, casually get their popcorn and drinks, and then stand just inside the cinema and talk for a while before finally going to the theater. When they finally realize, "Oh yeah, we came here to watch a movie, remember?" they get there after the movie has begun.

So yeah, that's what happened. And I felt really out of place. Inside I had to keep reminding myself, "This is Latin America. Plus, you've already seen the movie. Don't freak out. Don't freak out. Don't freeeaaakkk ooouuutttt..."

Anyways, the movie was great (again). It was really funny watching people come out of the theater afterwards. Most of them said, "That was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I hated it." Fortunately, there were two or three (out of maybe 10-12) that I think really enjoyed it. Souwa is my new best friend of the day, because she has good taste in movies. That also confirms my theory: All pure-blooded Salvadoreans hate Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (with very few exceptions). Or maybe the European style of filmmaking in general. Gringos, along with those with Chinese and Arabic blood, however, love it.

I could write my Extended Essay on that. And do a huge investigation. But no, the morons won't let me write about film. [/rant]

Also, I noticed some new things this time that I hadn't noticed at first. SPOILER ALERT If you pay very close attention to some of the dialogue, it appears as though by the end of the movie, this is not the second time Joel and Clementine have met. It is the third. Why else would the last shot of the movie play over and over three times? Why does Joel see Clementine at the beach and admit that for some reason he's not sure of, he's attracted to her back and her orange jacket? After she steals his chicken, he claims: "It was though we were already lovers"; this is ambiguous - could it perhaps refer to an even previous relationship with her?

*sigh* That movie's too good. I want it on DVD. Charlie Kaufman rules. I like Eternal Sunshine better than Adaptation, even though the latter I would say has many more layers to it. Eternal Sunshine is just...good. Nearly perfect, I'd say. And inspiring. It makes me want to accept people as who they are, flaws and everything.

After the movie, we went to Burger King, which was fun. And yummy. Yay. Now I'm back home, updating this. Tomorrow I'll go to church and do homework. Then on Monday...who knows. My dad comes back tomorrow! Yay!

Maybe I'll download some more sheet music. Today I got some more music from Amelie. I love it I love it I love it. I really hope I can find some music from Eternal Sunshine, since I noticed tonight that the music is really good. It fits so well with what's happening on screen.

Quote of Da Moment:
How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
--Alexander Pope, Eloisa to Abelard

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?