<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, September 24, 2004

What A Long - But Cool - Day 

I ran out into the street with these flesh-eating weasels all over my face
Wavin' my arms all around and just runnin', runnin', runnin'
Like a constipated weiner dog
And as luck would have it, that's exactly when I ran into the girl of my dreams
Her name was Zelda
She was a caligraphy enthusiast with a slight overbite and hair the color of strained peaches
I'll never forget the first thing she said to me.
She said "Hey, you've got weasels on your face"

That's when I knew it was true love
We were inseperable after that
Aw, we ate together, we bathed together
We even shared the same piece of mint-flavored dental floss
The world was our burrito
So we got married and we bought us a house
And had two beautiful children - Nathaniel and Superfly
Oh, we were so very very very happy, aw yeah

But then one fateful night, Zelda said to me
She said "Sweetie pumpkin? Do you wanna join the Columbia Record Club?"
I said "Woah, hold on now, baby"
"I'm just not ready for that kinda commitment"
So we broke up and I never saw her again
But that's just the way things go

In Albuquerque
Albuquerque

--Albuquerque, "Weird Al" Yankovic

Wow. It's hard to believe it's only 9:32. It seems like I've done so much today, and it's still not over.

First: school. Blegh. Boring as usual. I have to write this huge essay in History, the first draft of which is due near the end of October. We've been going to the library every Friday for 3 weeks to do research, and I still don't know what I'm gonna write about. First it was going to be about Mao's persecution of religion in China. Then it was gonna be about Stalin's persecution of religion in the USSR...or maybe, Hitler's persecution of religion in Germany? Today I thought maybe I'd write about Hitler's involvement in the "Night of the Broken Glass", during which Jews were terrorized and killed. Then it was Mao's involvement in the assassination of that guy whose name I can't remember...Ling Biao or something.

There is no information on any of those topics. At least not to the extent I need. I found one book that contained a good amount of information on religion in Germany, but that's it. All the web sites I found basically just stated the same thing. I looked through books for information about the "Night of the Broken Glass", and the one book I found with information clearly stated that Hitler definitely knew about it and supported it. So unless I find another source that makes a counter-claim, that won't work. There's nothing to discuss. And who's gonna write a lot of information about whether or not Mao had the plane of this guy sabotaged or whether his death was an accident? I've got nothing. Blegh.

Well, it turned out I had to cancel Film Society today for two reasons:

1) The power was going to be cut off or something at 1:30, making it impossible to run the proyector.
2) Lots of people I know who don't normally come to Film Society want to see "Donnie Darko", but they wouldn't have been able to come today because of this big college expo everyone was invited to.

So, seeing as how I didn't have anything to do after 1:30, I figured I might as well go to the expo. When we got there, it was raining. We basically spent 5 minutes running (or in my case, walking and enjoying every minute of it, since I was gonna get soaked either way), trying to find our way inside. We finally did. It was fun being with people from school, but the Expo-U itself wasn't very exciting. There were only one or two universities from the USA...most were either here in El Salvador or in other parts of Central America.

After that, we went to eat at some restaurant (I didn't catch the name) with some other people from school. The pizza there rules. Note to self: Any pizza that requires me of all people to eat with a fork is awesome.

Next stop: Miguel Chang's house to study for the SAT. We spent an hour or two going over some questions. The one we finished with was so weird neither of us could figure it out. It went something like this: "There's a car with 5 seats, and 5 guys riding in the car. How many seat combinations are possible if only 2 people can drive?" He and I kept coming up with the answer 22. That wasn't even an option. Supposedly the answer's 48. If anyone can explain it to me, it'd be good to know how to figure it out without taking tons of time to draw out each combination.

So now I'm home. My brother went to Friday's Night at Seguidores, but after being out so long I didn't feel like leaving the house again. Tomorrow I plan on going to the movies around 6 with a ton of friends to see Eternal Sunshine again. It will be interesting to see how many hate it or love it.

My mom just went to pick him up. We're in the middle of watching The Butterfly Effect. Awesome movie so far. I have a feeling by the end I'm gonna have a major headache trying to figure it all out. Yay. Headache-inducing movies can be good.

Also, my review of Fight Club is online! Woohoo! It ended up being about 1500 words...longer than some reviews, but not nearly as long as my review of The Passion. It was kinda hard not to go too in-depth in analyzing it. I don't want to spoilt it for people. But at the same time, my review won't make much sense (or be as interesting) without pointing out the basic storyline and key bits of dialogue. So oh well. I did my best. Fight Club is just one of those movies that can't really be put into words.

I feel like jumping out of an airplane wearing a parachute and nothing but a smile, while holding a goldfish bowl inhabited by a baby iguana named Bob and his girlfriend Lizzie, and screaming "I sound my barbaric YAWP on top of the world" before congratulating myself on quoting a movie while it seems like I really am above all of creation.

Quotes of Da Moment:
"You are what you love, not what loves you."
--Adaptation

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
--C.S. Lewis

"When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil."
--Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?