<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Making A Relationship Official - aka How I "Amarrated" With Souwa 

Nooooooo. Just as I had finished typing this long post, Blogger screwed up and I lost it. I want to run over this computer with a semi truck. This post probably won't end up as good as the original, but oh well. I'll try to basically say the same things.

Yes, I know "amarrated" is not a word. Just let me continue.

Hm...I haven't updated in a while, I know. Last week I had a ton of work. History coursework, TOK report...it got really nasty. Hm. Oh, and on Friday I went with four other people from school to a thing called the Knowledge Bowl...basically a competition where the geeks and nerds go to answer trivia. We won 2nd place again. That was kind of disappointing, since won 4/4 rounds and then lost in the final to a school that didn't even seem that good. And in the round that decided who won 3rd place, we knew at least 90% of the answers! No fair, they took our set of questions.

Anyways, time to get to the main point of this post. Let me begin by giving some background info...I'm going to be really direct in order to make this quick.

Ever since October 22, Souwa Ng and I have known that we liked each other. We've been an "unofficial" couple. We've been getting stuff out of the way, like telling our parents and things like that. Thankfully, we've been able to leave things up to God and take more than a few leaps of faith, and He's come through for us. Things have gone smoothly. Christ rules.

But what about now? Well, there's this Salvadorean (I haven't heard about it in any other Central American countries) traditional action known as "amarrar". Basically, it means that a guy does something special for the girl he likes and asks her to be his girlfriend, and if she says yes then they become an "official" couple. If she says no, he goes home and cries. Boohoo.

Souwa and I had talked about it and decided we wanted to do it when the right time came. Though since I really really really like her, I thought this past weekend sounded good, hehe.

Basically, we decided that we would go out for coffee on Sunday. Since I can't drive (a major inhibiting factor in the whole "amarrar" thing), she needed to pick me up. So when she drove up, my family left - they knew what was going on - and went to dinner. Souwa called me to let me know she had arrived, and I said something like, "Come on in and wait for 5 to 10 minutes. I'm still getting ready."

I know, that was a lame response. But I hadn't expected her to call, so I just said the first thing that came to mind. Anyways, she came in, and I had stuff waiting. Woohoo!

The basic idea was a "treasure hunt". There was a note waiting for her, and at the end it had a clue. She had to use that clue to find a gift that was somewhere in the house, along with the next clue. And so on and so on.

This whole time, I was up in my room trying to figure out what part she was at and what was going on. At first I was really nervous...but then I prayed, and felt a lot better afterwards. If there's anything Souwa and I have been able to see evidence of, it's the importance of "prayer power". It's amazing. Sometimes we can see God working so clearly it's like He's right in front of us.

Anyway, the last few clues involved her following a trail of roses up the stairs and onto the balcony. This was about the time I sneaked out and came up behind her. She turned around and started to say something, but I stopped her so I could finish and give my little "speech". I had thought about what to say, and had told myself I wouldn't forget, but of course, as soon as she turned around and looked at me my mind went blank and my thoughts seemed to ooze out of my ears. I was speechless for a few seconds. Then I managed to get out a few sentences before finally ending with the famous question, "Would you like to be my 'official' girlfriend?"

"Yes I really want to...but...I'll have to talk to my parents and think about it..." came the reply.

That was a little disappointing, but I had accepted that that might happen, so it didn't hurt as much as it could have. After all, it's not like we were going to stop liking each other.

So we went downstairs, had some coffee, talked... I really didn't feel like her parents should be any part of the equation. This was about us and God. Period. If she wanted to, she should say "yes", but if she wanted to wait that was fine with me. I could be patient. No matter what happened, God was in control.

She thought about it some more...and then said yes. So I asked her multiple times if she was absolutely positive about it, and she said yes a few more times. Woohoo! Yay! We talked some more...she got about 5 phone calls in 5 minutes from people who knew what was going on and called to congratulate her (I don't want to think about what that would have been like if she had said no)...and then she left. Afterwards, I felt such an incredible sense of gratitude I just walked around the house for a few minutes mumbling "Thank you" over and over again. It was like God was standing right next to me. Really incredible.

So yeah, now we're "officially" boyfriend/girlfriend. For the past few days, we haven't heard much except, "Congratulations! You make a great couple!" It's starting to get annoying.

I'm overjoyed. I hardly know how to describe things. Souwa, you're da best gal evar. I know that God has something planned for us, and no matter what it is, we'll make it through it. He is in control. I'm so lucky to have a friend like you!

If you want more details about what happened (I've only given you a basic outline...believe me, there's a lot more), maybe she'll post something about it on her blog. If not, too bad. Hehe. Be praying for us. I know we are.

G'night!

Quote of Da Moment:
"You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly."
--Sam Keen

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?