<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, December 24, 2004

It's G-Time 

I've been relaxing and enjoying the Christmas holidays, for the most part. Yesterday I saw The Incredibles again, this time with Souwa. And in Spanish. For once, I can actually say that Spanish dubbing isn't always terrible. They managed to match up the voices (or at least the tone and pitch in general) pretty well. Kudos to whoever dubbed it.

Also, I forgot to mention that when I first saw the movie I saw first-hand a specific idea Pixar implements in its movies that's pretty neat. Even in prints that are in English and subtitled, they take the time to dub any signs or printed material that appear in the film itself. For example: on the Monsters, Inc. DVD they showed how when Mike reads the newspaper, they printed the headlines in dozens of different languages depending on which country it would be shown at. In The Incredibles, there was a part where in the background there was a scrolling digital/neon sign or something, and it was in Spanish. But the characters were speaking in English. And there were Spanish subtitles.

That's kinda weird. But cool. Pixar really pays attention to the details. And they have a monkey at their company. I want to work there.

Hm. Today I spent most of my time around the computer playing Half-Life or watching James play it. I stopped long enough to write an essay for college applications - now I'm almost done! Dude, that game rocks. The story isn't Pulitzer material but it gets the job done - you're a scientist working in a secret underground facility. One day, something goes wrong and a portal is opened up to another dimension. You had to fight your way to the surface shooting up freaky weird aliens. Plus, the government sends in soldiers to "clean up" the mess (aka Kill all Survivors). So you get to run around and blow stuff up and kill some aliens and blow stuff up and travel to an alien planet and blow stuff up! Woohoo! It's definitely one of the best games ever made, just like people say. It's so addictive. I remember playing it for the first time and actually jumping out of my chair at times. That's how incredible the gameplay is - and the graphics are so outdated! This is proof that graphics don't make the game. It's all about atmosphere. Part of me wants to beat it again before playing the newly-released sequel, but...

I was so hooked on Half-Life I had my mom buy Half-Life 2 for me while she was out shopping. It was only $10 more expensive cheaper than in the USA. That's awesome. That never happens here. Most of the time, you have to pay at least $80 for a decent game, so I just order them online. But not this time.

Half-Life was regarded as the best first-person shooter ever made. Half-Life 2 has been quoted as being, and I'm not lying: "...the best game ever made." Oh yeah.

As of now, the best games I have played are, in alphabetical order:

Grim Fandango
Half-Life
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
The Curse of Monkey Island


It is time to see if Half-Life 2 is as excellent as everyone says it is, and worth the long long wait. It was delayed for more than a year after someone hacked into the Valve company system and stole 1/3 of the source code.

It is installed now.

After a long journey through what seems like billions of security measures, the game is ready to go. Will I play it now, at 1 AM, and risk getting hooked and staying up all night? Or will I wait until another day? Hm. I can't decide.

Either way, I'm going in. It's G-Time.

Quote of Da Moment:
"I never saw you throw that gentleman off the balcony. All I care about is: are you happy with your haircut?"
--The Rock

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?