<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Christian Bale is Da Man of Da Week 

I saw two movies starring him, two days in a row. Both were good.

The Machinist - He lost 60 pounds for this role. That's 1/3 of his body weight. Talk about dedication! It was really kind of disgusting to see a fully-grown man who's even thinner than me. You could see the long, narrow muscles on his sides. If you like weird movies, this one's for you. It's about an insomniac. Little weird things start happening to him and gradually escalate until the final climactic moment. I thought the ending was kind of rushed and not linked to the rest of the movie enough, but overall it was a good finish. It really makes you think a lot.

Batman Begins - Bale gained all his weight back for the Dark Knight. This movie was really good. I don't know if I'd go as far to call it the best comic-book movie ever made, like some critics are, but it's certainly up there. I really enjoyed it, but it kinda caught me off guard. I was expecting something a lot different, even after having read the reviews. I really enjoyed it, but I think I'll probably enjoy it more if I see it a second time.

The movie does a great job of getting into the character of Bruce Wayne. It's more about him than it is about him as Batman. The filmmakers covered all the details: why he chose a bat as his symbol, why he wears a cape, where he gets his gadgets, etc. Bale was the perfect choice for Batman, the new Batmobile is pretty cool, and Alfred is awesome. They should find a way to give him a bigger role.

This movie once again proves that Christopher Nolan is incapable of making a bad film. There'd better be good sequels.

Quote of Da Moment:
"A guy who dressed up like a bat clearly has issues."
--Batman Begins

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?