<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 20, 2005

Even More Movies 

Yup, that's right, I've seen even more movies lately. And tomorrow (or rather, today) the Salinas' are coming so we'll probably end up watching even more movies with them! Here's the two I saw recently:

Gandhi - It's about, uh, Gandhi. It's really interesting; Gandhi was basically a whole lot like Hitler, just good. I really didn't understand how much influence he had on India until seeing this movie. He was basically the Jesus Christ of India. I think it's really cool how he didn't favor one religion over another, even though I'm certainly not that much of a universalist. He was raised Hindu, but read the Koran, and followed some of the teachings of Christ. Here's a guy who really did take the phrase "turn the other cheek" literally. It's amazing how much power one man can have over people, without doing so in a violent way. Ben Kingsley deserved the Oscar. Good movie.

Madagascar - Not bad, for a kid's movie. Some jokes work, others don't. Being a movie buff helps. I think I might have been the only one in the audience who recognized certain jokes as movie spoofs. The American Beauty spoof was great - I haven't even seen that movie, but I recognized the music and the scene it was spoofing simply because that's probably the most famous scene. I think I laughed the hardest at the Planet of the Apes gag - it was certainly one of the smartest jokes in the movie. I'm fairly certain I'm the only person who recognized that one for what it was; everyone else just laughed because the lion was acting goofy. Unless one of the other few people in the audience had seen the original, instead of just the inferior Burton remake, which is unlikely. Overall, it was pretty funny. The penguins deserve their own spin-off.

Quotes of Da Moment:
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind."
--Gandhi

"Me! Me! I'm steak! Oh, me! I'm steak!"
--Madagascar

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?