<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Confidential Matters 

I saw L.A. Confidential. Great movie. I definitely need to go back and watch it again - the second half was really confusing. Everything got so complex...it was like, "Wait, that character did this, which connects to that, which also happens to be related to this character and his dealings with that? Huh?"

Also, Hard-Boiled is a pretty cool Chinese action movie - John Woo's last film before coming to the USA to make films in English. It has all the typical elements of a John Woo movie; motorcycles nearly fly, the main characters are somehow able to leap out of the way of thousands of bullets (they could be Olympic gymnasts with that level of agility), and the body count keeps getting higher and higher and higher. Fun stuff.

Yesterday I also went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It's a pretty good little summer movie. It wasn't nearly as bad as the previews made it look - Tim Burton managed to pull off another good movie yet again. The Oompa Loompas are awesome, Johnny Depp does a good job, and I now have a huge craving for chocolate. Unfortunately, like most kids movies these days, they overdid the whole "message." I think Hollywood underestimates its audience. Once a character actually states the "point" of the movie, there's no need to state it again and again and again and again. It got kind of annoying. Other than that, though, it was a good movie.

In other news, it's Sunday. I'm starting to really miss Seguidores. These past two Sundays have been really boring, at both the churches I've visited. It seems like all the Baptist churches are slowly dying out, and for good reason. There's no passion in them. The songs/hymns are either slow and boring, or have completely meaningless lyrics. I keep thinking to myself: "Wait, aren't we here to worship God?" The majority of the songs just talk about how we're saved, how we're blessed, how we're worshipping God. Whenever I sing them I feel like I should be singing them to a non-Christian. They're the only people who would get anything out of them. To all of us Christians it's like, "Yeah. We know. We're saved, and it's good." I mean, really, shouldn't worship songs focus more on God and be addressed to Him rather than ourselves and other people?

If this is how most Baptist churches are, I can't say I'm sorry to see that less and less people are starting to attend. Nobody wants to be around people who can't stop singing about themselves and how great they are since they serve God.

Quote of Da Moment:
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by candlelight."
--George Gobel

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?