<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 01, 2005

Psychos and Guns 

I saw two movies tonight. Here are my brief thoughts on them before I go to bed:

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels: I really enjoyed this movie - it's probably the best "crime" movie I've ever seen. But that, I mean the kind of movie where the protagonists are criminals and you're rooting for them to win. It basically revolves around a group of thieves who, after one of them loses a game of cards, have a week to get half a million dollars, or their fingers will be cut off. What I really liked was how the style is very dark and gritty and yet at the same time, some scenes and bits of dialogue are extremely hilarious. I've got to hand it to Guy Ritchie: he does an amazing job of turning groups of people killing each other into something funny. There's tons of plot twists, the dialogue is witty, and the characters are engaging. I liked it and highly recommend it.

American Psycho: This movie is just messed up. I'm not sure if it had a point. It was basically a really dark social satire. I think. The satirical stuff was kinda hard to see. Basically, it's about an...er...American psycho. What makes this guy creepy is that he really is just a normal guy. Except for the fact that he happens to have a thing for brutally murdering hookers and fellow businessmen. He is nearly completely emotionless about his life. He literally has no qualm with simply pulling out a gun (or an axe or chainsaw) and killing someone with it. He's insane and he knows it. That's the scary part: that he really does act like a killing machine. Nobody knows his secret; they all think he's perfectly sane. He does act normal, after all. I recommend it if you want to see a dark cult classic. But otherwise, it's probably not worth your time. The only really good things I can say about it is that the ending does make you question what's really going on, and Christian Bale gives one of his best performances ever, if not the best.

Quote of Da Moment:
"Will you keep it down? I'm trying to do drugs!"
--American Psycho

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?