<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Blockbuster Practically Owns Me 

I've been doing nothing except surfing the Internet, driving places, and of course, watching tons and tons of movies. My thoughts:

The Insider - Michael Mann can do no wrong. It's a good movie, based on a true story about a tobacco scientist and all the things that happen to him (death threats, etc.) because he tries to tell people the bad stuff that goes on at his company. Russell Crowe and Al Pacino are good actors, the drama/suspense is good, and tobacco is evil.

Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness - the two sequels to The Evil Dead. Evil Dead II was awesome, and definitely the best of the trilogy. With the first one, it was like the creators were trying to make it scary and funny at the same time...but it was more funny than scary. With the second one, they made the wise choice in going strictly for the comedy. It's dark comedy, to be sure, but hilarious stuff nonetheless. Bruce Campbell is awesome, awesome, and more awesome. Army of Darkness was pretty disappointing, unfortunately. They should have stayed with the whole "a-few-people-vs-tons-of-zombies" idea instead of turning it into some kind of war movie. The best part of the third one is Bruce Campbell's lines - there isn't a lot of dialogue, but when it is, it's usually hysterical. I can see why this trilogy is considered by some to be the ultimate cult movies of all time. They're good, funny, gory, action-packed, and do original things with unoriginal ideas.

Kung Fu Hustle - Great movie! It's the same cartoony kung-fu stuff of Shaolin Soccer, just even better. Good action, great comedy. I loved the spoof of The Shining - I wasn't expecting that in a Chinese movie. I highly recommend renting this.

The Big Lebowski - An okay movie by the Coen brothers. This movie has a cult following, and I don't know, I was expecting it to be better. It had some funny parts, and I guess I can see why some people love it, but I don't know. It just didn't click with me like I thought it would.

Bringing Out the Dead - Martin Scorsese movie. It stars Nicholas Cage as a parademic who drives around New York in an ambulance trying to save people's lives, and sometimes being unable to do so. He's haunted by ghosts of people he failed to save, he hates his job, and has a pretty frustrating few days. I liked it. It's not particularly excellent, but overall it's good.

My dad flies in in around an hour. I'll see him tomorrow. Yay.

Quotes of Da Moment:
"Saving someone's life is like falling in love. The best drug in the world. For days, sometimes weeks afterwards, you walk the streets, making infinite whatever you see."
--Bringing Out the Dead

"Hail to the king, baby."
--Army of Darkness

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?