<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Guess What This Post Is About... 

That's right, more movies. Three, to be exact.

13 Conversations About One Thing: Great movie. It basically involves a bunch of different characters and how their lives intersect with one another. The "one thing" mentioned in the title is a general term that relates to happiness, fate, destiny, etc. It really is an intriguing look at how our lives may or may not be composed of random, meaningless events, and whether or not there is a purpose behind them. I enjoyed it.

Snatch: Guy Ritchie's second movie. I liked this one just as much as Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Once again, it is both serious and comical at the same time. It's incredible how Ritchie can suddenly turn tense and violence scenes into bizarre, hilarious situations. Also: I couldn't help but link Brad Pitt's role in this movie to his character in Fight Club. I guess it was the whole unlicensed boxing element. Anyways, it's a good film, and I recommend it. I can't wait to see his new movie (I'll skip Swept Away).

Oh, and I can't remember another movie I've seen where one of the coolest and funniest characters is a dog. This movie is worth renting for the dog alone.

The Evil Dead: The horror cult classic. It was pretty good. It definitely had that low-budget, B-movie feel to it, but it's all the better for it. It's just campy fun. The acting isn't great. Some scenes are pretty suspenseful, but most of the time it will just make you go, "Eeewwww!" It's one of the goriest movies I've seen, but it's all so exaggerated and fake I ended up laughing out loud a lot of times. It's also has some pretty original scenes in it...for example, the first "scary" scene involves a woman being raped by possessed trees. It's not so much horrific as it is absurd and funny. But it finds a pretty decent balance between "this is really tense" and "that's just messed up and gross" and "this is really funny." Good stuff. Hopefully I'll be able to see the sequels soon.

Quote of Da Moment:
"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
--Snatch

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?