<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Job Interview #1 

I just returned from my first job interview.

Okay, so my alarm goes off at 9:45. I get up, find some decent, semi-dressy clothes to put on. I make coffee, and drink it while munching on some Pop-Tarts.

Anyways, my interview is at 11. By 10:40 I'm rushing, trying to brush my teeth and put on deoderant and use the bathroom and find my campus map (in the end, Cherry drew one for me *phew*). So I rush out the door at 10:45 and manage to find Tompkins Hall in 7 minutes. Then I proceed to look for room 225 - 5 minutes later, I realize it's the number for a little cubicle. This lady meets me and says she'll be doing my interview for Mr. Schreiber, then we go into an office, and the interview begins.

I tell her some about my background, why I don't have much work experience (but make up for that in life experience), etc.

Then she pulls out a question I wasn't expecting: "Has there ever been a time in your life when you were forced to comply with a policy you didn't agree with?"

My mind went blank. What, do they want to make sure that I'm not some kind of workplace revolutionary? That I'm not some sort of Tyler Durden? Hello?! I'd be doing filing and shredding and grunt work like that! It's not like I would refuse to do that sort of stuff or anything...I wouldn't be applying for the job if that was the case.

Anyways, I pulled out the first answer I could think of, which is still the only answer I can think of. And guess what: it's a terrible answer. But when you're desperately searching for an answer, you'll grab at anything...

I told her how I was forced to wear a school uniform in Central America because that was school policy, and I hated it.

Yeah. That's what I said. I am Jack's raging sense of stupidity.

Then she asked if there was a time in my life when I had ever had to really prioritize myself, and I talked about how at the end of 12th grade I had tons and tons of projects due around the same time, so I had to carefully plan out how I was going to work on them. I guess that was an okay answer. But it still brings up the question: what does that have to do with filing and shredding?

And that was the end of the interview. I walked in the hot sun and nearly died of nervousness over an interview that lasted 3-5 minutes. Talk about a disappointment.

Anyways, I doubt I'll get the job. But if I do, that's cool. She told me there's a huge closet filled with old papers that need shredding, which is awesome. I love shredding. It's really good for stress-relief. "Die papers die!"

I leave in around 40 minutes for my next interview. I hope that one goes better. It pays less, but the work might be more interesting. We'll see.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?