<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Job Interview #2 

This one went waaaay better than the first one.

I didn't have any problem finding the building, since it was right next to the one I had been to before. This interview actually took a good 20 minutes and focused on the job and my qualifications, rather than my ability to follow orders I don't agree with. The professor (Ms. Bykova) was really nice, though she speaks with a strong German accent and at times it was slightly hard to understand her. She actually seemed interested in who I am and what I like to do.

Around 5-10 minutes was spent on discussing my background and qualifications, and I spent the rest of the time just listening to her explain what the job would require. It sounds a whole lot better than the other one, even though it pays less. Before today I thought the other job would be the best one for me (I thought every job I applied for would focus on secretarial skills), but now I realize I was wrong. Sure, it pays more money, and the work would be no problem, but why sit around shredding paper when I can actually do something to help teachers for their class? With this job, I'd be spending most of my time helping Ms. Bykova design web tools for her Philosophy students. I'd basically just be looking for information related to certain topics, and linking to such information. A basic knowledge of HTML is required, and while I haven't used HTML since the last time I updated my movie reviews site (let's not go there), the basics aren't that difficult at all. I got the impression that as long as I know how to make a hyperlink, I'll be fine. So I'll basically spend most of the time researching and writing code. It didn't sound that difficult, and I'd probably get read a lot of things about philosophy, which is cool.

I'll find out later this afternoon whether or not I have the job. If I get it, I'll have to start working tomorrow, which is fine. I'm just not sure what I'll do about my other interviews. If I get accepted for both the jobs I've applied for, do I have to decline one? That would really suck for the department to have to notify somebody else and say, "Well, we told you you didn't get the job, but guess what? We changed our mind!" And I'm wondering if I'll have to cancel the interview I have tomorrow. But oh well. I'll deal with that depending on whether or not Ms. Bykova hires me.

Tomorrow I start classes. I only have two on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Philosophy (yay) and Calculus (noooo). Wish me luck.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?