<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Let the Independence Begin! 

I'm, like, in college now. For serious.

Yesterday morning I drove up with my dad and James. We met my roommate, Andrew Cherry (who everyone just calls Cherry), and with his help proceeded to re-organize the furniture so we'd have more space, since both of us have a ton of stuff. We lofted the beds. All the computer and tv-related stuff is under one, and there's a couch under the other. Our drawers, refrigerator, microwave, etc. are at the back.

So far things are going okay. I put up all my posters and set up everything major that needed to be set up (except for my printer, which I need to get around to installing). All of my posters are up, so the room is starting to feel like home - and believe it or not, there's even room for at least 6-7 more. I've been playing around with my new Mac G5, which is teh awesome.

Before I go on, I should clarify: "teh" is Internet slang, most often used in place of the word "very."

Anyways, I'm starting to love my Mac. Things are pretty easy to get the hang of, and it comes with a lot of cool programs already installed. The only problem is that for some reason they lost my particular Mac order, so they gave me a spare they had. It doesn't have as much RAM or hard disk space as I want...but that's okay, I can always order more. The CD drive, hard drive, and everything else that you would normally find in a CPU for a PC, is built into the monitor. I just slide CDs and DVDs straight into the monitor, and hit the Eject button on my keyboard when I'm done. Yup, there's an Eject button on my keyboard. It took me a while to find it - Macs are so simple that if you've used a PC you'll overlook the obvious.

Cherry's a pretty cool guy, too. I've basically been following him around everywhere, which I hope doesn't annoy him. Today I actually went and ate the dining hall by myself, so I feel proud of myself for that. We had a little "bonding time" after my dad and James left - I couldn't figure out how to put together my DVD case. Now, when it comes to putting things together I can handle the basics. But other stuff is really beyond me. I couldn't even figure out what I had to do with the diagram. Anyways, Cherry helped me out. He's majoring in Industrial Design, so he knows all about construction stuff.

Last night we sat around with a friend of his and watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind on my Mac. It was pretty cool - my new speakers were well worth the $50 I paid for them. I'm seriously considering naming my Mac, since it's so cool. Actually, maybe I'll just call it, er, Mac. Everything isn't perfect though - I did have a few problems. For example, the modem cable that came with it didn't work. Luckily, Cherry had a spare, standard one he let me use, which I set up a few hours ago, and it works fine. Also, the two-button mouse I bought for it only works for PCs. I'm such an idiot. Oh well, at least I already have a mouse bought for whenever I get my gaming PC built.

I'd say the biggest problem so far is that I'm one of only around 5 freshmen in my hallway. Seriously, today I met the first freshman other than me since I've been here. Cherry's a softmoare, and most of the people he's introduced me to are sophomores. They're already used to this place, so they talk about things I know nothing about. They're cool people, it's just hard for me to connect with them. I guess that will come in time. Hopefully, once classes start I'll also be able to make a few other freshman friends who are as ignorant and retarded as I am when it comes to college.

On Tuesday I have a job interview at 11 AM. Tomorrow I'll have to call two teachers and try to set up two more interviews. I'll keep you all updated on my job situation.

Anyways, that's all for now. It's time for me to return to my other duties...like surviving until Wednesday. There isn't much to do around here when classes are out except eat, sleep and chill in the dorm.

Quote of Da Moment:
"You can lead a boy to college but you can't make him think."
--Elbert Hubbard

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?