<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Misdemeanors and Going Away 

I'm back from the mountains. Umhm.

Tonight I saw American Movie. It's a documentary about this filmmaker in 1996 trying to make a short film. It was interesting. The guy was basically what you'd think of as "white trash": he didn't have much money, he looked like a hillbilly, he drank a lot, his friend had drug problem, he swore a lot, etc. It was hard for me to sympathize with him as a person. But as a filmmaker, you've got to give him credit. The guy was determined - he spent 3 years working on a 30-minute short film. That's true dedication. No matter what problems seemed to arise, he always kept moving forward.

I also saw a Woody Allen movie I had bought, since I'd heard it was good but hadn't been able to find it anywhere, even at Blockbuster. It's called Crimes and Misdemeanors, and deals with the concept of morality. Is it okay to do something wrong, as long as you get away with it? Is God watching our every move? It was a good movie, I liked it. It gives you a lot to think about it. I can't say I agree with the conclusion Allen seems to come to (which leaves God out of the equation entirely), but I still enjoyed it. Basically, it involves two people in two different situations - one a crime, and one what most of us would probably call a moral misdemeanor. It shows how our moral choices, no matter how big or small, can influence our lives. I recommend it.

It's weird. Both Crimes and Misdemeanors and Manhattan at one point or another involve a couple being separated because one of them moves to another country for 3-4 months. I can relate. In one, we never learn what happens to the relationship, and in the other the girl comes back engaged.

Wow, Woody. Thanks for the encouragement.

Quote of Da Moment:
"Honey, you're the one who stopped sleeping with me, okay? It'll be a year come April 20th. I remember the date exactly, because it was Hitler's birthday."
--Crimes and Misdemeanors

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?