<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Quick Post Before I Sleep For 3-4 Hours 

Bottle Rocket is a pretty good movie.

Downfall is fascinating. I really liked it. It's really interesting to watch a movie that focuses entirely on the Nazis, rather than the Allies. Bruno Ganz did an amazing job as Hitler. It was really surprising. The movie takes place during Hitler's last days...instead of a strong, proud leader of Germany, we're presented with a short old man suffering from Parkinson's, who doesn't look like he could hurt a fly. Except for the fact that he's prone to fits of rage, of course. I had never really thought much about the specifics of the end of World War 2, but this movie gave me a lot to think about. It really does show how much impact the Nazi Party had on people, and how devoted they became to it.

It even made me feel a little sorry for Hitler...yes, he was a man who did terrible things (and the movie doesn't attempt to make us forget that), and it didn't leave me feeling good about him in any way...I just feel pity. He was so determined and so patriotic, and yet at the same time so misguided and blind... I've never really felt that way about Hitler before. There is more depth to him than the simple "Hitler was a sadistic dictator from hell, let's hate him" idea that many people have of him. You have to remember that he was doing what he thought was best for Germany, and people wanted him in power. He was a really popular guy, after all. I don't know. When I used to think of the Holocaust, I used to think the killing of the Jews was sad. Now I'm not only saddened for the Jews, but also for their murderer. Such a strong leader, such blind ideas.

Anyways, I'd definitely recommend this movie to anyone. It really is quite unique, and shows you elements of the Nazis and Hitler you wouldn't expect.

And, that's all my movie reviews for a while, which should please some of you. Tomorrow (or rather, today) I'm moving into college. I'll update as soon as possible.

Quote of Da Moment:
"The war is lost... But if you think that I'll leave Berlin for that, you are sadly mistaken. I'd prefer to put a bullet in my head."
--Downfall

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?