<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Sinfully Good Weekend 

On Friday afternoon I went with my dad to spend the night at my cousin's house. Yay, a really hot shower and a comfortable bed! My bed here at NCSU is comfortable, but not like that. I didn't do much in Wilson except go to a cookout and sleep, but it was fun.

Yesterday when I got back I went with Cherry and Josh to Sam's Club. On the way back, we saw this van with a license plate that said LLAMABUS. There was also a sticker that said something to the effect of, "Our llamas will touch your heart" - I don't remember the exact words, but that was the general gist of it. Then the sun shone through and we saw the silhouette of - you guessed it - a llama. Karen would have gone nuts. We were just kinda like, "Wow. Never seen anything like that before." It was probably heading for the veterinary school or something. We considered following it but it was too slow to keep up. Stupid bus.

At 7:00 I went to the Campus Cinema to see Sin City. Awesome movie; well worth the $1.50 I paid for it. Everyone should see it simply because of its visual style - it's the kind of thing that will be studied in film school years from now. It looks and feels exactly like the graphic novels. I loved it. The characters are the kind of heroes that exist in every male's fantasies. The men are tough and aren't afraid to die or kill a whole lot of people for something they believe in, whether that be the lives of others or simply revenge. The women are mainly hookers or strippers who alternate between being sex objects and kicking bad guy booty. Morally, the characters are extremely flawed, and yet there's just something about them you can't help but root for. The first story presented is the best (I will never look at Elijah Wood the same again), but the entire movie is one of the best films I've seen all year. There's just something about it that resonates long after it's over. I'll be very surprised if it doesn't win an Oscar for art direction or something similar.

At around 11:30 I saw Jackie Brown with a bunch of people in my room. It was a good movie; probably the worst of Tarantino's films, but good nonetheless. The main actress did an amazing job; I don't remember seeing her in anything else, which is surprising considering how good she was. There were a few pacing problems, but overall I liked it. The dialogue was typical Tarantino goodness; very funny at times.

Hm. Today I went to Grace, which is an on-campus church. It was okay; could have been better, could have been a lot worse. In a few hours I'm going to go with Andrew Futrel to another church, so we'll see how that goes.

Also, this afternoon I went to the bookstore and bought a book: If Chins Could Kill by Bruce Campbell. I bought it for these reasons:

1) I had looked at it before in Barnes & Noble, and it looks interesting. It's basically Campbell's autobiography, and deals with how he became probably the most popular B-movie actor of all time. Not only did he star in The Evil Dead trilogy, but he does have some television directing experience, so I might learn something.

2) It was in paperback. He has a new book that just came out, but it's in hardback, which means it was $10 more expensive. I'm a college student; I just can't do that. Plus, it's a work of fiction, and supposedly nowhere as near as good as his first book.

3) Bruce Campbell is going to be in Raleigh tomorrow, and I intend to go see him. He's going to be at a local theater doing a book signing, so I figured I might as well pay a few dollars to have something for him to sign. I was going to buy an Evil Dead poster for him to sign, but there aren't any more on-campus poster sales going on. I missed them. Argh. Anyways, he'll also be screening his new movie that he wrote/directed/acted in: The Man With The Screaming Brain. It's gotten mixed reviews - some people say it's the most god-awful piece of trash ever, and other people say it's an excellent cheesy B-flick in the vein of his other work. I might as well go see for myself, especially since it'll be cheap and I've never been to an actual screening before where the director showed up. I mean, come on, it's Bruce Campbell! Bubba-Hotep himself. Should be a good way to wind down before busy busy Tuesday.

I just realized: I need to find a camera. Then I can take a picture of me with Bruce Campbell to document the moment for all time. Every time I watch The Evil Dead movies I'll be able to think: "I met that guy," and have proof to back it up.

Here's hoping I can find transportation.

Quotes of Da Moment:
"When it comes to consoling 19-year-old girls, I'm about as expert as a palsy patient performing brain surgery with a pipe wrench."
--Sin City

"I'm serious as a heart attack."
--Jackie Brown

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?