<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 19, 2005

Carter, Sideways, Spinal Tap, Requiem 

I spent the weekend in High Point sitting around and watching movies. It was a whole lot of fun...it's been a while since I got to just relax and indulge my film habit. Here are my thoughts on three of the movies:

Sideways: A pretty good movie. It follows two guys as they go on a week-long vacation before one of them gets married. Their mission: relax, taste lots of wine, and get laid if possible. It's interesting. Props to Alexander Payne for directing and helping to write such an intriguing drama. The characters are both fully developed. One of them is a writer who has been depressed ever since his divorce two years ago, and is waiting to hear whether or not his book will be published. The other is a carefree spirit looking to have one last fling before finally tying the knot. The result is a movie that, while slow, maintained my interest and put my IB analytical skills to use. It also has a fitting ending, which is neither depressing nor happy, but merely hopeful. I can see why it was nominated for best picture; it's exactly the kind of movie critics would love.

Coach Carter: A pretty good sports movie based on the true life story of controversial high school basketball coach Ken Carter, who locked the doors of the gym when his players didn't meet their academic responsibilities. It's not bad, and nowhere near as cliched as I thought it would be. Sam Jackson is da man, as usual.

This Is Spinal Tap: Famous for being one of the first of a new genre - the "mockumentary." Basically, it's a fictional film shot like a documentary, that follows the heavy metal Spinal Tap as they go on tour across the USA. It's a bit slow at times, but really funny. It's pretty good, I can see why it's a classic.

I also saw Requiem for a Dream. I ended up having to rent the edited R-rated version since Blockbuster can't lend out the real, Unrated (read: NC-17) version. That was fine though; one of the clerks told me that the only difference between the versions was that the edited version cut a few shots out of a sex scene. That'll work for me - as long as the storyline isn't affected, I can do without a few shots. Besides, personally, I think the edited version might be more effective - it implies what's going on, then leaves the rest to your imagination. It's very effective for establishing the mood.

Edited or not, the movie was still very graphic and disturbing. However, it was excellent. Darren Aronofsky is a genius; this film has some of most visually intriguing shots and editing I've ever seen. The guy can work wonders with the camera. Not only that, but he can get a good performance out of Marlon Wayans - you know a guy's good when he can manage that. I'm definitely going to have to write a full review of this one, whenever I get a chance. It was amazing. Dark and disturbing, but amazing nonetheless. This movie has made me decide more than ever than I will never, ever try drugs. I'd recommend this movie to everyone, as long as they can handle the sometimes graphic content. It's fantastic. Now I plan on being first in line to see Aronofsky's third film, The Fountain, which is supposedly due to be released this year.

In other movie-related news: tomorrow I'll be going to a sneak preview of Tim Burton's Corpse Bride for free on campus. I also intend to write a review for that one, just because it'll be my first opportunity to review a movie before it gets a wide release. Speaking of reviews, I've written one for Desperado. Once Upon A Time in Mexico, Requiem for a Dream, and Corpse Bride will hopefully all be written by Friday and on my website, which I updated today (after nearly a year!) with my review of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

And now...it's sleep time.

Quote of Da Moment:
"As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll."
--This Is Spinal Tap

"Half my life is over and I have nothing to show for it. Nothing. I'm a thumbprint on the window of a skyscraper. I'm a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage."
--Sideways

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?