<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 26, 2005

I Am Disturbed 

I woke up today and went to a church that's within walking distance called Vintage 21. It wasn't bad. It'll provide a good place to go if there are any Sundays where I can't find a ride to visit new churches. A guy in my Literature class was there - it seems like I keep running into this guy. He's in my class, he was at that abortion lecture, and now he was at church. He was just visiting because he said he had heard about it from some friends.

I found out his name's Daniel Underwood and he's a columnist for The Technician. I recognized the name - he published a very controversial article a few weeks ago about "sorostitutes" that caused a huge protest by sorority girls, complete with signs and yelling and the whole deal. I didn't bring that up. One, because I didn't think he'd appreciate that, and two, because I actually ageed with what he said in his column. Then again, what do I know about sorority girls?

Anyways, I asked him if it would be possible to get a job with The Technician, and he said he'd ask around at the next staff meeting. I told him I was interestied in being the movie critic, since I'm a movie buff and there's hardly ever a review in the paper. He told me to send him some samples of reviews I've written, and he'll see if there's an available position for me.

Sweet. If I start writing for the campus newspaper, it'll add a little more work for me to do, but it will have various benefits, such as:

a) I'll get to watch movies.
b) I'll be forced to practice my review writing.
c) It'll look good on a resume.

We'll see what happens.

After church, I rented two new movies, got some lunch, and then came back to my room to work my butt off all afternoon. I got a lot of job-related work done - it's only the second day of the new week, and I'm already halfway done completing my weekly hours. Oh yeah.

I saw Old Boy.

It is definitely the most disturbing movie I have seen in a very long time. Magnolia was "this-is-emotionally-draining" disturbing (in other words, not very disturbing, just dramatic). Requiem for a Dream was "this-is-really-dark-and-depressing" disturbing. Old Boy is "oh-my-God-that-is-just-wrong-and-really-messed-up" disturbing. Kinda like when I saw Se7en for the first time, except maybe even more so.

That being said, it's a great movie. The directing was superb; the visuals and sound editing were amazing. The main actor was phenomenal.

But that ending...whoa. I think I'm going to have nightmares tonight about various things. The whole situation just gives me the heeby jeebies.

Quote of Da Moment:
"No waaaaay." --me watching the end of Old Boy

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?