<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, September 24, 2005

I Love Saturdays 

Because I get to sleep till noon. That's always good.

Yesterday I managed to make it to the Credit Union and Blockbuster and be back in my room in less than two hours. It was a lot of walking, and it was really hot, but I was worth it. I deposited two paychecks into my account, and I spent about 20 minutes in paradise at Blockbuster. I was literally in awe at the selection. There are way more movies there than at the Blockbuster in High Point. They must have every film ever made, including the foreign ones. I got a membership card and signed up for the all-you-can-rent-for-a-month deal for thirty bucks. I figure I'll give it a try just this month. If I don't end up renting my money's worth, then I won't do it again. But with movie rentals being around $4.50 each, I figured it'd be worth a shot. As long as I watch 7-10 movies a month I'll be fine.

Last night I saw Layer Cake. It was pretty good, but not as good as Snatch or Lock, Stock... Daniel Craig is supposedly still in the running to be the next Bond. I don't know, I just can't see him in the part. I still think that of all the actors out there today, Clive Owen would make the best 007. Unfortunately, I've heard rumors that either the studios didn't want him or that he refused to take the part. If it's the former, the studios are being morons. If it's the latter - Clive, you're an idiot. What kind of guy turns down the role of James Bond? Everyone knows you'd be perfect!

Today I didn't do much except work on my script outline, write two movie reviews, and upload three (five if you consider that one is a trilogy) reviews onto my website. Oh yeah, I'm good. How's that for an update?

I also just finished watching Magnolia. I'm still kind of in a stupor of some sorts...not quite back in reality yet. It was, to steal a line from Keanu, whoa. Just whoa. I went into the movie expecting it to be graphic and unsettling. It's not graphic in the bloody/sexual/nudity sense of the word. It's just...raw human emotion. That's the only way I can think of to describe it. It is wrenching not because of adult content, but because of the emotion. I came closer to crying than I have while watching any movie since The Passion. It's just filled with so many broken people, and yet at the same time, has one of the most positive and Christian messages of any movie I've ever seen. I was on the edge of my seat during the second half, not because it's an action movie, but because the characters are just so captivating. It really makes you think and asks some very important questions. Are there such things as coincidences, or is everything somehow connected? Why can't we say what we want to say? What can we forgive? Is there such a thing as divine intervention?

It is extremely refreshing to watch a movie that actually makes God a central character. If only Hollywood made more stuff like this, maybe the entertainment industry wouldn't be one of the most amoral industries in existence.

Wow. I didn't know a three-hour movie could go by so fast. Pardon me while I go reflect and ponder the mysteries and messages of Magnolia.

Quote of Da Moment:
"I'll tell you everything, and you tell me everything, and maybe we can get through all the piss and shit and lies that kill other people."
--Magnolia

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?