<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Hmmm 

Right now, I'm just chilling. Thankfully, this week has been a whole lot less stressful so far compared to previous ones. I'm enjoying it.

Tomorrow I'm going to get up, go to Sociology, and come back and study for an English test I have in the afternoon. Why? Because I'm too lazy to study now. Simple. Besides, it gives me something to do for a few hours in between classes.

Today in Philosophy we started watching a documentary called Tying the Knot about homosexual marriage. And it provided me with a Thought That Makes Me Go "Hmmmm...".

It's a good documentary, and one that makes me uncomfortable. I support gay marriage, but it's one thing to support it and another to watch it happen. There were clips from a wedding that took place where some lesbian and gay couples were allowed to get married, and I found myself squirming. There was a big cake, and instead of the little figurines of a man and a woman standing on top, there were pairs of same-sex figurines. That disturbed me. Plus, there were ministers from various churches (universalists, etc.) dressed in robes and carrying Bibles that were voicing support for gay marriage and looked to be homosexuals themselves. I don't like that. I'm all for state-sponsored gay marriage, but adamantly against bringing religion into it. Keep it civil.

Anyways, one person said something I found extremely interesting. There was a man being interviewed, and he said something to the effect of, "I don't understand why conservatives don't support gay marriage. Marriage isn't easy. It involves commitment, taking responsibility, love... these are all values that conservatives support. And it's not like heterosexual marriages have any less liklihood of divorce - if anything, they probably have more."

It makes you stop and go, "Hmmmm."

And... Ronin is a good action movie. Has some awesome car chases.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?