<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 07, 2006

New Start, New Addiction? 

Moved back into my dorm today. I'm feeling good. Everything is nice and tidy. Cherry is hanging out with friends, so I have the room to myself. I've got my new DVD stand set up with all my DVDs properly alphabetized. My books are all in order. All essential electronic gadgets are hooked up and working properly. The refrigerator is stocked with drinks, and I have more snacks than I know what to do with.

I only wish I had time to enjoy it more. I spent a few minutes today outlining what I'm gonna write for my various essays. I want to put them off until the last minute, but I know that won't solve anything, so I'm gonna try and crank out at least one or two of them tomorrow after church. Then on Monday, school starts and I record my first news podcast. With any luck, I'll be able to finish all my essays within the next few days, I won't have much homework, and I'll be able to sit back, relax and concentrate on watching movies, doing podcast stuff, and...

...satisfying what might become an addiction: Battlestar Galactica.

I saw the pilot episode today - in other words, the first disc. The three hour miniseries.

The first 45 minutes was...slow. Not much happened. It was mainly just character introductions and development, along with the basic plot setup. It was interesting, but didn't exactly put me on the edge of my seat. I convinced Mason to watch it with me, and he was complaining throughout all of this section.

Then the second part kicked in, and things went from when-is-something-going-to-happen mode into hey-this-is-pretty-cool mode. And then it just didn't stop.

Overall...it's a really good miniseries. Best I've ever seen? I don't know. The action scenes are good, considering it's a tv show. And for a show, the production values are really good. The acting is solid. The CG ranges from mediocre to pretty awesome.

What really makes things interesting are the plot and character development. Other than the first 45 minutes, I was never bored. I wanted to see what happened next. So Mason and I ended up watching all three hours of it. The miniseries as a whole was what I'd call "pretty good", but it ended with a surprise that I wasn't expecting at all, and that was great. As a result...I'm sitting here fighting the temptation to watch the first episode of the series. Mason went from not liking it to getting into it enough that he wants to watch it with me, and he hates me for it. So I won't get to see what happens until tomorrow. Must. Fight. Temptation.

I once heard a guy talk about how he stayed up until 7 in the morning watching this show, just because after every episode he'd think, "I have to see what happens! Just one more." All I know is that that better not happen to me. I can't afford it while I'm in college. I have made up my mind to set my expectations for this series low. I keep telling myself, "It's overhyped. It's not the best show on television. People are wrong." That way I won't be disappointed. But what I'm worried about even more than being disappointed is that people are right, and I'm going to get so sucked into this show that I forget to eat and bathe. That wouldn't be good. Especially since once I finish Season 1 I'll have to wait until Season 2 comes out on DVD. Ugh. This show better not make me spend more money.

I must not get addicted to this show. I must not. Addiction is bad, and if I get addicted to Battlestar Galactica, then Battlestar Galactica is bad. And I don't want that.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?