<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Non-Free Laundry is the Devil 

I hate laundry.

At around 9:30 last night, I went downstairs to do some laundry.

4 hours and almost seven bucks later, I was done.

Firstly, laundry isn't free anymore. Fine, I can handle that. They'd been saying we wouldn't have it free forever, so I was expecting that. But it costs $1 to do a load of laundry. Usually, I have to do three loads. Then, it's a dollar for a dryer. That's $4.00 total. No big deal, right?

Well, that's assuming things work right. Which they don't. I had a machine steal 75 cents from me. And then I spent around $1.25 on a dryer. Why spend so much on a dryer? Because my clothes were still wet, so I kept putting in more money. Then I realized that the dryer was probably broken, and switched to a new one, which was of course another dollar.

I hate this. If you're gonna make me pay to wash my clothes, then you might as well make sure that the machines work! Four hours doing laundry is unacceptable. I'm not paying to go to school and have to put up with that. Uuugghhh.

Anyways, that was the annoying part of my evening. Everything else has been going fine. I finished my Caldwell essays, except for corrections. Today, Mason and I watched four episodes of Battlestar Galactica. We've got two to go in the series, and Mason has already downloaded Season 2. I don't normally like to watch pirated stuff, but since all of Season 2 isn't out on DVD yet, and I'm going to buy it anyway once it comes out (yes, it's that good), I don't see the problem.

Last night I saw this movie called Saving Face. It was interesting, and I kinda liked it. It's basically about this 48-year-old Asian-American woman who gets pregnant and disowned by her parents, so she moves in with her daughter, who is a closet lesbian. It's like a romantic comedy...about homosexuals. And yet, somehow, I found myself enjoying it. It was kinda sweet, in that chick-flicky way. Perhaps it's because I seem to be becoming more liberal when it comes to homosexuality on a daily basis, the more I learn about it. Or maybe it's because that didn't seem like the movie's major focus. It's not just about homosexuality, it's about relationships that violate social and cultural norms in general. And, to some extent, I felt I could relate to a lot of the themes going on. I struggle with social pressure all the time with Souwa. It's hard, you know? At what point do I say, "I'm sorry if you people don't agree, but this is my life and we'll handle our relationship the way we think is best?" On the other hand, when should I go, "I really want to do it this way, but it might be better if we take other people into account and do it like this?" Finding a balance is tough.

Tonight I saw City of God, which I finally decided to buy yesterday just because no one has it to rent, and the places that do don't have copies with English subtitles. I liked it. It's very good. It's a fascinating look at the slum culture of Rio de Janeiro. Good stuff.

I'm gonna go to church tomorrow. I'm also going to record a couple of podcast reviews. And I'm also either going to finish up the first season of BSG or watch Wall Street. Maybe both.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?