<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Sleep Is A Good Thing 

It's 2:30. I'm tired. I figured since I'm up this late I might as well give a quick update as to what's been going on.

I'm up late tonight because I spent the last few hours catching up on some Sociology reading. I'd have done it earlier, except I went to Mitch's Tavern on Hillsborough to meet with a group from Vintage21 to "discuss God, life and culture over a pint." Yes, Mitch's Tavern is a bar. Yes, a lot of people were consuming alcohol (but drunkenness is not allowed). No, I was not one of them. It was just an informal gathering where we sat around chit-chatted about everything from life experiences to religion and theology. Good stuff. I'll probably go back next time they have it.

I am convinced this semester is going to be a busy one, academically. All of my classes require tons of reading, and I still haven't gotten all of my books yet. Wonderful. Plus, I have to write weekly summaries of my Sociology readings. That's going to be tons of fun (note the sarcasm).

Let's not forget I also have a job that requires me to squeeze in half a dozen hours of work every week as well.

And that's just the academic stuff. That's not including The Technician, podcast, church, Intervarsity small group, and Intervarsity large group. Oh yeah, and I have to find time to eat. Can you say the word "packed"? That's gonna be my life, and I'm not looking forward to it.

One of the reasons I'm not looking forward to it is that I want some spare time to watch movies and Battlestar Galactica. Mason and I finished the first season - the finale was spectacular. I believe I yelled "HOLY CRAP!" very loudly at one point. We're now two episodes into Season 2 (he downloaded it)...and I'm loving it. I can see why lots of people consider this the best sci-fi show of all time; it just might be. It feels more like a drama in space than most science fiction. It's not episodic, like CSI or Everybody Loves Raymond, where every episode you've got the same characters in a completely different situation from the last episode. It's entirely progressive, more like The West Wing as opposed ER or Star Trek. It feels more like a really long movie than a television show.

The plot/character development is insane. And one thing I'm really digging is the attention to details of all aspects of this fictional universe. It's not all about blowing stuff up. Politics plays a heavy role, as does social relationships between characters (friendships, romance and sex, enemies, etc.) And what really surprised me is the amount of detail and time dedicated to the religion and spiritual beliefs of this world. I don't even want to begin to analyze it all. You've got stuff that could be references to Christianity along with more a more pagan belief system...some characters believe in many gods, others in one God. There are prophecies. One character in particular keeps going on and on about how everything is part of God's unique plan. And when you take into account the type of characters that are talking about this stuff....it gets really interesting. You'll have to see it to know what I'm talking about.

So yeah, that's that. Go watch BSG if you can.

Podcast-wise, Erik and I re-did the news show, along with another new type of segment. Both should be online shortly. There's tons of new stuff going on with the podcast. Major expansion in terms of content and presentation. Hopefully there will be a recording out this week explaining all the new stuff that's going on.

Wall Street is a pretty good movie. Kinda slow at times, though. It made me glad I'm not a stock broker. Too many numbers.

I'm going to collapse now. Good night.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?