<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

So This Is What My Classes Are Like 

Genetics 301 - Genetics in Human Affairs - My first class every week. It's a big class, but it should at least be interesting, even if it's more like a lecture than a discussion. Right now we're mainly talking about stuff I already learned in the IB, but I'm guessing that will change.

Psychology 200 - Intro to Psychology - This class is so huge they have to hold it in an auditorium. That's gonna suck. The teacher seems cool, though. At least assignments shouldn't take too long...lots of people means lots of grading.

Sociology 304 - Men and Women in Society - This class looks like it'll be just as interesting as my last Sociology class, if not more so. This is a class about gender identity, sexuality and gender roles. So far all we've done is read some stuff about intersexuality, but it's fascinating. This is also my only class that's taught by a woman.

English 282 - Intro to Film - Yay! I finally managed to make it into this one, which meant I got to drop my 3-hour political science night class. Basically, this class is going to revolve around the viewing and analysis of movies. It's something I already do, but hey, I love it. Yesterday, we started watching Thelma and Louise. This one review I read a while ago was right - in a way, it is kinda like Fight Club for women. It's all about girl power.

Religion 300 - Religions of the World - This is probably going to wind up being my favorite class. The teacher looks like a nerdy 15-year-old, but I'm pretty sure he's a Christian (he talked about studying Christian theology in college and going to church every week). Basically, we're going to study Buddhism, Hinduism, Confucianism and Taoism (Eastern); Judaism, Christianity and Islam (Western). Every two weeks were are going to read about a new religion, possibly hear a lecture from a guest speaker who practices that religion, and watch a movie somehow related to that religion. In other words, movies are going to play a major part of the course - naturally, I'm excited. He's already told us about the final exam, and I am now convinced that it is going to be the Best. Final. Exam. I. Ever. Take. Period. Basically, the exam will consist of writing two essays somehow related to the religious aspects in the first and third Matrix films. I think I've probably already got the main aspects of Western religions (or at least Christianity) down. I just have to watch them again and look for Buddhist and Eastern elements. No doubt there's plenty of those, too, since the Wachowski Brothers are Buddhists.

I haven't started my one-hour-credit-that-lasts-two-hours-a-week Engineering/Computing class yet. I'm going to try and study the material online and take the place-out exam. Mason told me that I probably won't be able to, since the class is really hard, but a guy in Sociology told me that he studied the text online and placed out without a problem. So I guess it's always possible.

Yesterday I finished another essay. Only one more to go. Yay!

Last night I recorded the first ever news segment for the podcast. That, along with the 2005 Recap, should be posted today.

I finished the second disk of Battlestar Galactica today. Three to go. I need to find out when Season 2 is being released on DVD, so I can get it. Mason is in the process of downloading it, but the show is good enough that it's worth owning.

Tonight I'm going to a press screening of Glory Road, provided Michael and I can find the theater. I then have to have a review written by tomorrow evening. I also need to go finish buying my books before then, so I can read some stuff for tomorrow. Oh well, at least I'm staying busy.

Also: last night on the "Colbert Report" (the show that comes on after the Daily Show and is usually just as good), Stephen Colbert mentioned NC State and put a professor on his list of people that are "on notice." And it all revolves around a word (Colbert always has a word of the day) that Colbert claims to have made up, but that in reality might be a real word. Check out the story here.

Quote of Da Moment:
"Can you send poop in the mail? What about a fetus?"
--Mason

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?