<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, February 23, 2006

A Caldwell Fellow I Am 

I got the Caldwell scholarship. As in, the most prestigious scholarship offered to freshmen. The thing that's going to make it easy for me to study abroad, get internships, and funding for possible film projects. That one.

So that's cool.

Theology on Tap was great, as usual. It gave me a whole lot to think about. I realize now that I need to get back to reading more Christian theology...a couple of guys there suggested some authors, so I'm gonna see what I can find. Maybe I can read a couple books during Spring Break.

One of the passages mentioned was Romans 9:10-24. This is one of the hardest passages I've ever read, and not one you'll find preached on in a non-Calvinist church. After talking about it with Souwa I think I've finally come to terms with it, but at first glance this is one of those things that makes me scream, "God, this isn't fair!" Here you go:

Not only that, but Rebekah's children had one and the same father, our father Isaac. Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God's purpose in election might stand: not by works but by him who calls—she was told, "The older will serve the younger." Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."

What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! For he says to Moses,
"I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."
It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: "I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth." Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?" But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?' "Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?

What if God, choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory— even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?


Try and wrap your brain around it. It's tough, and not a very nice thing to think about.

Anyways, that was good. I've been really busy ever since then. I spent most of the day yesterday and today studying for my Religion midterm. I didn't have the textbook (it wasn't at the bookstore at the beginning of the year), so that wasn't good. I went to both the campus bookstore and the textbook store on Hillsborough Street. Neither had it. So I studied my notes into dust - there was a ton of stuff to study. I'm not sure how well I did. We'll see.

On Friday and Saturday I have to go on a "retreat" around campus for the new Caldwell fellows. Hopefully that won't be too bad. Unfortunately, yet again it seems the Caldwell people have picked the worst possible weekends to do their stuff. On Sunday I have a 3-hour training workshop of some sort for the Technician. On Monday I have my E 115 midterm, so I need to study for that. By Wedesnday I have to write two essays for the Sociology take-home midterm. I also have to do a Genetics report by then. And go participate in a couple of psychology experiments for my class. And go to a meeting about the Film Committee and see what that's about. And start interviewing people for my Technician feature. Plus all of my normal activities.

Thank God there's only one more week until Spring Break. I'm going to sleep for 5 days, then go up to DC and sleep some more.

Lyrics of Da Moment:
And here's to you, Mrs. Robinson,
Jesus loves you more than you will know.
God bless you, please Mrs. Robinson.
Heaven holds a place for those who pray,
Hey, hey, hey

--"Mrs. Robinson", Simon and Garfunkle

Quote of Da Moment:
"We're not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us; we are wondering how painful the best will turn out to be.”
--C.S. Lewis

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?