<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

It's That Time of Year Again... 

I am thinking it's a sign
that the freckles in our eyes are mirror images
and when we kiss they're perfectly aligned
And I have to speculate
that God himself did make
us into corresponding shapes
like puzzle pieces from the clay

And true, it may seem like a stretch
but its thoughts like this that catch
my troubled head when you're away
when I am missing you to death
when you are out there on the road
for several weeks of shows
and when you scan the radio
I hope this song will guide you home

they will see us waving from such great heights,
"come down now", they'll say
but everything looks perfect from far away,
"come down now", but we'll stay...

I tried my best to leave
this all on your machine
but the persistent beat it sounded thin
upon listening
and that frankly will not fly
you will hear the shrillest highs
and lowest lows with the windows down
when this is guiding you home

they will see us waving from such great
heights,
"come down now", they'll say
but everything looks perfect from far away
"come down now", but we'll stay...


--"Such Great Heights" by Iron and Wine, The Postal Service

...That's right. It's Valentine's Day. The day when millions of couples everywhere try desperately to make up for the fact that they've been total jerks for the past 364 days (unless they've been doing it right). The day usurped by Hallmark so men and women can spend money on each other, since that's easier than love. The day children are forced to eat those chalky candy hearts with the messages on them.

You gotta love it. Unless you're single, of course, in which case...

Happy Singles' Awareness Day! You can act like it's a stupid day that doesn't mean anything to you, but we all know it does. Don't try and hide it. We know you get envious every time you see a couple walking by you with smiles on their faces. We know that, whether you admit it or not, you want a Valentine's Day sweetheart. We know that if you had someone your attitude would miraculously change and you'd be going just as crazy as everyone else.

It's okay. Just accept it. Let this day serve as encouragement for you single people out there to go out and find some lovin'. Because I have a significant other and you don't. Nah-nee nah-nee boo boo. I know that must be psychologically unbearable.

Anyways, moving on...my life is crazy. Last week I went to hand in my Southwestern essays. I go upstairs to the meeting place, only to find that there's an Internship fair going on and the guy I'm supposed to be meeting with is nowhere to be seen. So I go downstairs and notice another Southwestern guy (Brandon) talking to someone under the stairs. I ask him where Ramos is, and he says that Ramos had to go somewhere else, but that he'll be interviewing me instead.

At this point I'm thinking, "Well, that does it. This is God's way of showing me I'm not supposed to do Southwestern this summer. He isn't closing the door, he's slamming it. Ah, the irony of having my normal meeting replaced by an internship fair..."

So I talk to Brandon. I don't even think I'm saying the "right" things. I'm scared. I'm doubtful. And I let him know that.

And then he offers to recruit me. He says that Ramos told him he could recruit me if he had a good feeling about me, and he does. At which point I think to myself, "Well, God, I guess this is what you want me to do after all. Nice job of making it clear. I like that whole inspire-doubt-then-surprise-him approach." And I accept. And that's that.

So yeah. Don't expect to be seeing me this summer. It's not gonna happen. I'm gonna be in another state.

I had my first weekly meeting with my team leader today. It's not Ramos, but it's David Boyce, and he's cool. I'm starting to see how things are going to work, and I'm getting a little excited. This is going to be...an experience.

Anyways...I worked my butt off last week, and I'm doing it to an even greater extent this week. Today I'm gonna have to leave early from Film class to go to a meeting about the Honors program. I'm also going to have to do my weekly Sociology homework, record a podcast, and study for the Psychology test I have tomorrow that will probably be extremely hard. I also have to work on a movie review this week for the paper. And do E 115 homework. And on Saturday I'm going to spend most of the day in interviews about the Caldwell scholarship. I guess that's a good thing, but I'd much rather do it during the week. I'm gonna have to wear a suit, and I also have to have a proposal-thing written by then. Blegh. Of all the weeks to do it...

I had a great weekend, though. Souwa came down and we spent the weekend in High Point together. Yay.

On Friday we just caught up for a while, since she got in late at night. Saturday was sort of our "movie day", I guess. First we went the girl movie route, and saw In Her Shoes. She loved it, I thought it was so-so. At least it was somewhat original. Then we went to see Capote, which was heavy. It was good, though, and Philip Seymour Hoffman deserves the Oscar. Then at night we went the guy movie route, and saw Oldboy. She hated it, I still loved it. Good times.

On Sunday we slept in. Then we had our own little Bible study/fellowship time. It was great! We read this passage in Acts that was just filled with so many interesting things....it was amazing. When God speaks, He speaks loudly. There's nothing like Acts in terms of how to model your church and relationship with God.

Intimacy is one of the greatest gifts ever. And no, I don't mean that kind of intimacy, you perverts. I mean the whole thing. Even though life gets hard and stressful and frustrating sometimes, it's the little blessings that make it worthwhile. And the big ones, too.

Quotes of Da Moment:
"What greater thing is there for two human souls that to feel that they are joined... to strengthen each other... to be at one with each other in silent unspeakable memories."
--George Eliot

"The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being. His heart withers if it does not answer another heart. His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration."
--Pearl S. Buck

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?