<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Weekends Aren't Always Good 

This one has just been so-so thus far.

The week went pretty well, though. For once I wasn't drowning in school work, and could actually chill out at nights. On Tuesday I went to Theology on Tap, which was good as usual. We talked a lot about the state of the church, and how politics fits in, and how Americans and American Christians can be really ignorant and stupid about things (like other religions). I'm no exception to the rule, but at least I know people in third-world countries don't live in grass huts.

On Wednesday night I was actually free for once, so I went to the college group over at Vintage21. It was pretty cool; hopefully I'll be able to go more often in the future.

For some reason, I've been doing really well on tests I didn't study enough for or put enough effort into. I don't know what it is. Probably just luck. I just don't really have any motivation to study or work like I should, for some reason. This week I had a Psychology test and a Genetics test though, so it's possible my luck will run out. Especially with Psychology. Don't you hate it when you get a class that's interesting, but annoying and with the kind of tests that don't accomplish much?

Today I slept until noon. I was originally supposed to go with a group from Southwestern to a hockey game. But evidently, a lot of people didn't want to go. So there was a change of plans - we ended up going to my team leader's house (or at least, the place he's staying at, which is the home of another team leader) to have a cookout and hang out, and go bowling afterwards.

At least, that's what he told me we were going to do. The reality was a lot different. I show up, and I'm the first student there. So I look around, talk to a few of the guys, chill. Then more people start showing up. Daniel (my team leader) starts grilling burgers. And everyone else starts getting beer from the keg they had out back. And one team leader brings his door so they can play a drinking game called beer pong. What kind of guy does that?

So, yeah. I had a burger. Then I got to sit around and watch everyone else drink a lot of beer and play drinking games. That wasn't fun. After I had been there for three hours, I managed to find one girl who like me didn't drink. We asked Daniel when we'd be going bowling, and he said probably around 8:00. It was 6:30. We left; she was kind enough to give me a ride back to campus. I mean, really. There was no way we were going to go another and a half just sitting around watching people get drunk (it's not that entertaining). And besides, in the end everyone would have been too drunk to drive to the bowling alley, let alone actually be able to bowl.

That wasn't fun. Especially when you take into account that some of the people they were serving alcohol to were underage. Not cool.

My Netflix movies were supposed to be in my mailbox yesterday. They still weren't here today. I think the campus mailing system is at fault, because they made it to my Aunt Brenda's house on time. So I ended up going to Blockbuster and renting three movies. I rented The Quiet American, which I saw a few years ago and remember being good, because I might end up analyzing it for a paper in a few weeks. I need to watch it again and see if it has potential. I saw the other two films tonight:

Paradise Now - I was going to go see this at the Campus Cinema tonight, but I didn't get back from the Southwestern thing in time, so I just rented it. Great film. I can see why it won the Golden Globe.

The Weather Man - This really sucked. I'm now feeling extremely depressed. What a downer. The previews made it look like an inspiring comedy of sorts. That couldn't have been farther from the truth. I spent the entire movie thinking to myself, "This guy's life really sucks. But I'm sure it'll get better." It didn't improve much. And when I say his life sucks, I mean it really sucks. I really hope I don't end up like that in twenty years. All in all, a pretty pointless and depressing film that tries to be more upbeat in the last five minutes, but fails. It has some good writing and elements that are cool to analyze, but it's not enough to make it enjoyable or worth spending $4.00 on. There were two scenes that I thought were really good and dramatic, but they didn't do anything to make me feel happier as I saw it. They just gave me hope for a good payoff that never came. Oh, and it also has the most product placement of any film I've seen in a very long time. It was insane how many times a shot seemed to scream, "Look! Advertisement! Buy this product!"

Tomorrow I'm going to church. Then I'm coming back and working on a report for film class about a movie I don't have a copy of....so I'll be going entirely by my notes. I'm sure that'll be lots of fun. Plus I have a meeting for the newspaper and some strange Caldwell thing. Blegh.

I think I'll put on some music or go to bed or something before I slit my wrists due to the depression I now feel because of that movie. Die, Nicholas Cage. Die.

Quote of Da Moment:
"Do you know that the harder thing to do and the right thing to do are usually the same thing? Nothing that has meaning is easy. 'Easy' doesn't enter into grown-up life."
--The Weather Man, in one of its few good moments

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?