<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, September 08, 2006

Ramblings 

It's 12:30 and I've got another hour until my laundry dries. Yay!

The retreat was surprisingly fun. The Caldwells are a good group of people. The low ropes stuff was mainly just things I've done before (*coughempowermentdaycough*) but the high ropes was pretty cool. Oh, except I got up to the top to start the course and realized that certain situations involving heights scare me to death. I got through the course fairly quickly, but I think my heart was probably racing faster than a Nascar driver on a straightaway.

Interesting. Take me to the CN Tower, thousands of feet above the ground, and I'll fearlessly jump up and down on the glass floor. Put me on a rope a few dozen feet above the ground, and I nearly wet myself.

Conclusion: It's all about how much ground I have under my feet separating me from empty space.

I'm going skydiving with some Southwestern guys in a couple weeks. I think one of two things will happen:

1) I won't be standing on the edge of the doorway long enough to get scared.
2) I'll be standing there, strapped to some other guy, long enough for me to start fearing for my life and shaking uncontrollably (yet unnoticeably).

Either way, it's gonna be awesome.

I saw Crank. It's a big dumb fun action movie. Could have been better in some ways, but overall it was worth the money. It's surprisingly funny, and very politically incorrect. Pretty good for what's pretty much a movie that's like watching a video game.

I also saw Syriana. It was really good. Oh, except I had no idea about the details of what was going on and had to turn to Wikipedia to help me out. It's complicated, to say the least. But it's still good. Bad USA, bad!

In other news: part of me is considering starting a new blog in which I could place all my movie reviews and rants. That way when I decided to write about a movie I might be more likely to just go ahead and write a decent review of it instead of just quickly typing a couple sentences because I have other things to mention. I think that might be a good idea. Ponder this further I will.

Oh, and I just finished watching a documentary called Dreadheads that's gonna be playing on campus in a week. I got a press kit for it since I'm gonna review it for the newspaper before the screening. The director's gonna be here, too, so on Saturday I'm gonna call him up and interview him. Should be pretty cool.

I want to film a documentary. I just need to decide on a subject.

I'm currently addicted to a band called The Raconteurs (a.k.a. Jack White's other band) that was introduced to me by Christian Bova, one of the managers I was living with during the summer. Can't. Stop. Listening.

Find yourself a girl and settle down
Live a simple life in a quiet town
Steady as she goes (steady as she goes)
Steady as she goes (steady as she goes)


Quote of Da Moment:
"Corruption? Corruption is government intrusion into market efficiencies in the form of regulations. That's Milton Friedman. He got a goddamn Nobel Prize. We have laws against it precisely so we can get away with it. Corruption is our protection. Corruption keeps us safe and warm. Corruption is why you and I are prancing around in here instead of fighting over scraps of meat out in the streets. Corruption is why we win."
--Syriana

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?