<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

An Evening 

Right now I'm kinda in a funk. Not sure why. Part of me feels like the guy in the Radiohead song "Creep":

I don't care if it hurts,
I wanna have control

I want a perfect body
I want a perfect soul

I want you to notice
when I'm not around
You're so very special
I wish I was special

Selfish? Yes. Angsty? Yes. One of those nights, I guess.There's nothing new under the sun, the verse says. Such would be my life. Same as usual. I am in need of a major development.

I went to see The Fountain again on Sunday, this time with Morgan and Mason. Morgan had already seen it. Both of us came out still loving it. Mason hated it. Such is the nature of the film - there is no middle ground.

I also watched An Evening With Kevin Smith, which is basically a 4-hour long compilation of scenes from the director's tour to different college campuses across the country. I split it up, of course. It's great. I didn't know listening to a guy answer questions for that long could be so entertaining. Like Kevin Smith or not, the guy's got wit and charisma, and he's not afraid to speak his mind. It's worth watching just to hear him talk about working on one of the script drafts for the new Superman movie about a decade ago. No wonder the project took so long to finally get made.

As a matter of fact, that scene can be watched here. It's hilarious, but be warned of profanity.

Went to Nashville. Learned a lot. Had some fun. Hopefully I'll get over my Southwestern recruiting curse soon. I'm not the only one at NCSU that seems to be suffering from it. Interesting thought inspired by the conferences: If we look at the financial side of success, only 2% of Americans make more than $100,000 a year. Only 5% of Americans make more than $60,000. Yet nearly 100% of people (particularly college students) believe that they will be in that bracket as soon as they graduate, despite the fact that the majority are lazy and do nothing to separate themselves from their peers. What is it in American culture and in the American psyche that causes this naivety?

Hm. Not much else to say. I've been doing assignments for my screenwriting class, which is going well. Sometimes it's hard to get the work done on time, particularly if I'm gone over the weekend, but I'm learning a lot. Still developing my idea for my feature-length screenplay. Maybe later I'll post what I wrote for those assignments, just to see what people think.

I'm debating whether or not to go see Hannibal Rising this weekend. My gut tells me it's going to suck, but it's Hannibal Lecter, who I am currently obsessed with. We'll see, we'll see...

Also: Holy crap. I have no idea how this could be adapted into a film, but if they find a way to make it work, then I don't have a problem with it. Should be interesting to see how the project develops. It surprises me that after Narnia they'd turn to one of Lewis' more theological works, rather than something like his space trilogy.

And now, precious sleep.

Quote of Da Moment:
"I always like to think of it as like, I've got 'em sittin' there, whip a little message at 'em. Whip a little moral at 'em. Whip a little of what my view of the world is. Because that's what every good filmmaker does. You can't change the world. You can't cure the world. All you can do is be like, 'This is it through my eyes. Do you agree or not agree?'"
--Kevin Smith

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?