<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 12, 2008

School Spirit? What's That? 

Blegh. Back at NC State. Hopefully this semester will be okay. I'm taking 17 hours, and as usual some of my classes look like they'll be cool, while others look like they are going to suck hardcore. I have to take a class on Social Research Methods for my Sociology major, and I'm required to do 6 small projects for it. I'm sure it will be helpful for learning how to do good social research, but still. Not exactly my idea of a good time. I also have to take a statistics class and two labs. On the bright side, I'm taking a class on the History of Film Since 1940, and we started out by watching a movie. Woohoo! We saw Double Indemnity, a classic noir film from the 1940s. It was great, with some surprisingly witty dialogue. I wish my life was narrated by a dramatic voice-over.

Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays are going to be hell on Earth, but I've scheduled my classes out so I only have one fifty-minute class on Monday and Friday, so it's practically like having a five-day weekend every week. Yay! Anyways, school is going okay so far. With luck, this semester won't be too hard and I'll be able to have some fun and do other things (like find a girlfriend?).

On a completely unrelated note, I've been keeping up a little bit with the Presidential primaries. I watched the Republican debate around a week ago. Honestly, I pretty much hate all the Republican candidates. They all sound nearly exactly the same, and like they're afraid to go too far in opposition to Bush, maybe out of fear of a backlash from the GOP or campaign supporters. The majority of them were basically like, "Give Bushie some credit!" and a couple of them even said the USA has the best health-care system in the world, which anyone who knows even a little bit about world health care systems know isn't true at all. We do have very high quality health care, but in terms of availability, it's not even close to where it needs to be.

The only Republican I would even give the time of day to is Ron Paul. He came across as kind of insane during the debate (but in a good way), probably because he was the only one calling for really major changes and the other five guys jumped on him for it. He's the only one that directly stated he was against the concept of preemptive strike (he even quoted the golden rule), and acknowledged that in order to tackle health care and immigration you're going to have to make big economic changes too. I don't agree with him on everything, but he at least seems to actually believe what he says. He's rich enough he doesn't need to rely on outside forces to finance (and possibly influence) his campaign.

In terms of Democrats... at this point, I'll probably end up voting Obama if he gets the nomination. I agree with Clinton on a lot of things, but we've already had 20 years of Bushes and Clintons in the White House, and I think it's time for a change. Obama needs more experience, true, but it might be good to get young meat into the oval office.

Anyways... if you're wondering which candidate to vote for, you should check out this site. Thanks to my mom for sending me the link. I came out closest to Obama and Hilary.

Bedtime.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?