<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 30, 2008

There's A Snake In My Boots! 

Cool experience of last week: I was at Barb's when Lucifer attacked.

By Lucifer, I mean a snake. And by attacked, I mean slithered around and looked menacing.

Barb and I were getting ready to head to a local thrift shop to hopefully find me some furniture. I was following her around seeing if there were any last-minute things to take care of, when she walks into her room and out of nowhere exclaims, "It's a copperhead!"

Of course I, being the kind of person who grew up reading everything he could on snakes, immediately thought, "There's a poisonous creature in the house! I must go stare at it!" and rushed to see.

She was right. There was a snake slithering across the middle of her room, minding his own business. He clearly didn't seem to find anything wrong with his actions, or seem to realize that he had stumbled into a house. And not just any house, but the house of Barbara Trent, Oscar-winning documentary filmmaker and liberal activist. A person who is quite happy traveling to war zones, exposing possible government conspiracies, and squashing any slug that would be foolish enough to munch on her vegetables.

The snake was lucky that Barb won't hurt any animal as long as it doesn't hurt her plants - not even bugs. However, that didn't change the fact that she's not the kind of person to go running and screaming from a snake.

Barb immediately called animal control while I kept an eye on the snake to make sure it didn't hide. Then she decided it would be a good idea to try and trap it; because, well, why not? So she pulled on some boots and we both grabbed a larger plastic container. By this point the snake had crawled into a pile of blankets to hide, so we just chucked the whole thing over the pile and that was that.

The animal control guy was cool. He just pulled out his snake wrangling stick, grabbed the thing and put it into a little box. It was pretty awesome. The snake kept striking and trying to bite him. I always told myself if I ever did anything with animals, I'd want to be a snake wrangler. This experience just confirmed how cool playing around with venomous harbingers of death can be!

Turns out it was a copperhead, not very young and not very old. We have no idea how it got into the house. Her dogs and cats definitely didn't bring it in. And the only entrance we could find was the cat door, meaning it had to crawl up stairs, through the cat door, through the lengthy kitchen, around a corner, through the parlor and into her room. All without being seen.

One thing's for sure: now whenever I'm at her house I'll be checking the floor for snakes whenever I get out of bed. Ah, good times.

***

GG/NG Episode 3 was released a few days ago. We talk about evolution and intelligent design. It's a pretty decent discussion, though looking back I wish I had brought up some other points. Our audience is gradually growing, and we're starting to get a trickle of feedback, so that's good.

***

Wall-E = best movie so far this year. See it. Love it. Save the planet.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?