<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

OMGWTF California? 

So.

While CNN and the other news networks were all talking about Obama, evidently Proposition 8 quietly passed in California.

This is the amendment to their constitution which bans same-sex marriage. This comes just a few months after same-sex unions were legalized.

I am rather flabbergasted and upset at this news. Though I still find "gay marriage" to be a gray issue, I support homosexuals being able to have civil unions and receive the same rights as other couples. Mainly because the United States is a secular democracy by nature, and opposition to gay marriage is primarily just for religious reasons. Reasons which are neither clearly-defined or not up for debate, I might add.

As far as I was aware, the majority of people were against Proposition 8. And I mean, come on. It's California. If anyone's going to allow same-sex marriage, shouldn't it be them?!

If Obama can start doing stuff to gradually ease the homophobia present in this country, I will be very happy.

Speaking of which, here's a good essay from a guy I know on how we should properly respond to Obama's win, regardless of whether or not we voted for him.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?